Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 & 14

Ok so we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here..(even though there is no light in my tunnel until middle of July because I will be talking summer classes...ICK!) But hey at least I will be done by one everyday:)  If I am not misunderstood it is April and what does April mean???April SHowers!!(can u sense my sarcasm?) The weather hasn't been that great lately....weird its Duluth and the weather is always nice....not. Ok Im here to reflect on weeks 13 and 14 of environmental so lets get on with it........
Week 13: 
During week 13 we watched a little video called The Story of Stuff. This was about how the things we use gets to us and where it goes when w
e are finished. This was very interesting because it makes you think about what
 goes into making a product and what is sacrificed. I don't think people realize this when they are p
urchasing something. We also had an advocacy project due that was titled: Issue overview. For this blog, we each chose a topic from THOMAS that was an individual goal that was being brought to congress's attention.  For my issue, I picked Nutrition and obesity(go figure) because I am ver
y interested in nutrition and how it affects one's weight.  Some of the topics people chose were very interesting and it was amazing to me to see how much work there is being done in congress to pass some of these as bills.

We also were able to get outside on Thursday and work my awesome navigation skills in the Bagley Nature Area . Although I love being outside when its nice out....the compass thing was not my cup of tea. I must say if you are ever in the mountains with me and nee
d to get somewhere...do not leave me in charge...Thought of the day: Katie+compass=disaster!  I think I mostly liked being with my fellow environmentalists( Heather, Sara J, and Autumn were my group members). And I would have to say shout out to Sara J for getting us through that fun little activity!!  I guess college is all about learning what you like and don't like...haha! I must say it was a learning experience!

Week 14:
On Tues of Week 14, we had a speaker come and talk to us about the Environmental Masters Program. This got me thinking that this area would be really interesting to learn more about. It also gave me some more thought to what I have already been thinking about a little bit: Americore.  I think
 this is something that I could possibly look into later and really enjoy being a part of.  It is also a great thing for people(like me) who do not know really what they want to do after they graduate.
On Thurs of Week 14, we did a really fun activity including junk.  My web group (Abbey, Sara J,Ben, Autumn, and Ingrid) came up with some really fun and crazy ideas for the junk we were presented by Dr. V. It was really fun 
to see how many creative ideas you could transform junk stuff.  This made me realize how much stuff I had at my house that I could turn into some useful.

I cant believe I just did a reflection on weeks 13 and 14. I have had so much fun in Environmental an
d I have learned things in this course that I would not have learned in any other course! Thanks to everyone for inspiring me to be the environmentalists that i can be!

5 comments:

  1. Katie- thanks for the shout out! That navigation activity was a little bit out there but it was really fun to spend time with you, Autumn, and Heather. We definitely had some good laughs.
    I think its great that you are looking into what to do after undergrad. I found the speaker to be helpful as well!! See you in class! --S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie-
    This post made me laugh a couple of times.. You know how much I loved that little compass activity.. haha. I'm glad you've learned a lot in this class, I definitely have as well. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All i have to say is that I am so glad you put that photo on here! it just makes me laugh! Nice little write up at the end about how you liked the course! Bringing it all home, I also cannot believe we are almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA...

    Katie, your whole compass section is hilarious! I think a lot of people were a little disappointed about the activity but at least we got to go out in the sun for a little bit, right?? I also can't believe we just completed a reflection on weeks 13 and 14...where did the time go?! I'm sure gonna miss this class, but hopefully some people will still use blogger over summer! =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie~
    This post made me laugh...thanks I needed it! I agree with Ben we should all still use blogger to keep in touch with each other.

    ReplyDelete


This is a weird looking bug I saw in Mexico!