Thursday, May 7, 2009

Share&Voice:Fast Food Nation!



For my online psychology class, we were given the assignment to read Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. I was really excited when I was given this assignment because this is a topic that interests me very much! As I was reading, the inner blogger in me thought this would make a great Share&Voice. I would definitely recommend reading this book! It will make you rethink your decision next time you are hungry for some Mickey D's!

Here are some interesting facts about McDonalds that the book gave:
  • McDonald's is the nation's largest purchaser of beef, pork and potatoes and second largest of chicken(KFC being number one).
  • They have replaced Coca Coca as the world's most famous brand.
  • Ronald McDonald is more widely recognized by American children than Jesus himself, and second only to Santa Claus!
  • The Golden Arches are now more widely recognized than the Christian cross!
  • It operates more playgrounds-designed to attract children and their parents to its restaurants- than any other private entry in the US.
Fast Food Chains:
  • At least 20 school districts in the US have their own Subway franchises, an additional fifteen hundred districts have Subway contracts, and nine operate Subway sandwich carts.
  • Taco Bell sells products in about 4,500 school cafeterias. Pizza Hut, Domino's Pizza, and McDonald's are now selling food in US schools.
  • 3o% of the public high schools in the US offer branded fast food.
  • Elementry schools in Fort Collins, Colorado now serve food from Pizza Hut, McDonald's and Subway on special lunch days!
I would also recommend seeing Super Size Me by Morgan Spurlock....!!!

3 comments:

  1. I also had to watch that movie for a class and it was very insightful and made me rethink going there...but I do have to same I still go there now but I only get the mighty kids meal which is the right serving size!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie.. great post! Make sure you pick up your reward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA crazy, Fort Collins, CO is literally 20 miles down the road from my homestead in CO. I didn't know that! And the weird thing about that is Colorado is the healthiest state in the nation!! Good post Katie. --S

    ReplyDelete


This is a weird looking bug I saw in Mexico!